A deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego has left three people dead and shocked communities across California, with authorities investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.
According to police, two teenage gunmen opened fire inside the mosque on Monday, killing three adult men before fleeing the area. The suspects were later found dead inside a vehicle a few blocks away after what police described as a confrontation involving additional gunfire.
Scott Wahl said investigators are treating the shooting as a hate crime and praised a mosque security guard who was among those killed, saying he likely prevented the tragedy from becoming even worse.
The Islamic Center of San Diego is one of the largest mosques in the region and also houses the Al Rashid School, where children study Arabic, Islamic teachings, and the Quran. Authorities confirmed that all children present at the time of the attack were safely evacuated.
Witnesses described scenes of panic and heartbreak as heavily armed officers surrounded the mosque while parents rushed to reunite with their children. Emergency responders arrived within minutes of the first reports of gunfire.
Imam Taha Hassane condemned the attack, calling it “outrageous to target a place of worship.” He emphasized that the mosque has long focused on interfaith understanding and community service, noting that a group of non-Muslim visitors had toured the mosque earlier in the day to learn more about Islam.
The attack has drawn widespread condemnation from Muslim organizations and community leaders across the United States. The Council on American-Islamic Relations expressed solidarity with the victims and urged prayers and support for the affected families.
California Governor Gavin Newsom said he was being briefed on the situation and thanked first responders for their rapid response.
The tragic incident has once again renewed concerns about rising hate-related violence targeting religious communities and places of worship across North America.

