MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man was shot and killed by a federal immigration officer during an enforcement operation in Minneapolis on Saturday, triggering widespread protests and prompting the deployment of the Minnesota National Guard amid escalating tensions in the city.
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara confirmed that the victim was a 37-year-old man, later identified by his parents as Alex Pretti, an intensive care unit nurse. O’Hara said details surrounding the encounter remain limited and that the Minneapolis Police Department was not involved in the shooting.
The Minnesota National Guard had been activated earlier by Gov. Tim Walz and was deployed to assist local police as protests intensified. Guard members were stationed both near the shooting site and at a nearby federal building, where demonstrators have gathered repeatedly in recent days.
Federal account disputed by witnesses
The Department of Homeland Security said federal officers were conducting an operation linked to the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown when the shooting occurred. DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin stated that officers fired “defensive shots” after a man armed with a handgun approached them and resisted efforts to disarm him.
However, Chief O’Hara said police believe Pretti was a lawful gun owner with a valid permit to carry. Several bystander videos circulating online appear to show Pretti holding a cellphone, not a weapon, though officials say the footage does not capture the full sequence of events. Federal authorities said the officer who fired the shots is an eight-year Border Patrol veteran.
Video footage raises questions
Video obtained by The Associated Press shows a tense confrontation on Nicollet Avenue as protesters shouted at federal agents. In the footage, officers are seen shoving individuals and restraining Pretti on the ground as multiple officers surround him. A shot is then heard, followed by additional gunfire. Pretti is later seen lying motionless in the street as officers back away.
Police Chief O’Hara urged calm from both the public and federal agencies operating in the city.
“Our demand today is that any federal agency working in Minneapolis does so with discipline, humanity, and integrity,” O’Hara said. “We urge everyone to remain peaceful.”
Federal and state leaders clash
President Donald Trump reacted on social media, criticizing state and city leadership and questioning why local police were not protecting federal officers. He accused Minnesota’s Democratic governor and the Minneapolis mayor of “inciting insurrection.”
Customs and Border Protection Commander Gregory Bovino defended the officer involved, saying he had extensive training in de-escalation and the use of less-lethal force. Bovino described the shooting as part of a broader pattern of attacks against federal law enforcement.
Gov. Walz, however, said he had “no confidence” in the federal handling of the incident and announced that Minnesota authorities would lead the investigation.
Drew Evans, superintendent of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, said federal officers initially blocked state investigators from accessing the scene — even after they returned with a judicial warrant.
Protests continue despite extreme cold
Protests continued throughout Saturday despite subzero temperatures. Demonstrators chanted slogans demanding Immigration and Customs Enforcement leave Minnesota and confronted federal agents, some of whom deployed batons, flash bangs, and tear gas to disperse crowds.
The shooting follows weeks of unrest in the Twin Cities after the Jan. 7 killing of Renee Good, who died when an ICE officer fired into her vehicle. Saturday’s incident occurred just over a mile from that earlier shooting.
Minneapolis resident Josh Koskie summed up the anger among protesters: “They’re killing my neighbors.”
Gov. Walz said he has spoken with the White House and renewed his call for President Trump to halt what DHS has described as the largest immigration enforcement operation in U.S. history.

