Thu. May 21st, 2026

Eurostar Halts All European Services After Channel Tunnel Power Failure

LONDON — Eurostar suspended all train services across Europe on Tuesday after a power supply failure in the Channel Tunnel, triggering widespread travel disruption during the peak holiday period between Christmas and New Year.

The operator cancelled all services linking London with Paris, Amsterdam, and Brussels. Eurostar later confirmed that even continental routes not using the Channel Tunnel—such as Paris–Brussels—were also suspended.

“There was a power supply problem in the Channel Tunnel, followed by a shuttle train coming to a halt inside,” a Eurostar spokesperson said. “All journeys to and from London are suspended until further notice.”

The cancellations left large crowds of stranded passengers at London’s St Pancras International and Paris’s Gare du Nord stations, many scrambling to find alternative travel options as holiday plans were upended.

“I’m disappointed. We were going to do New Year’s Eve in Paris,” said Jessica, a 21-year-old business coordinator travelling with friends from London. “We’ll try to find another ticket. Otherwise, we’ll stay in London.”

Another traveller, Jodie, who had booked accommodation in Paris for her family until Jan. 4, said the disruption had derailed their trip. “We can’t find tickets for tomorrow. It has disrupted all our holiday,” she told AFP.

Gradual resumption uncertain

The tunnel’s operator, Getlink, said train traffic would progressively resume on Tuesday afternoon, but many passengers remained uncertain about when services would actually restart.

Sophie Gontowicz, returning to Paris after a short family break in London, said she was taking the delay in stride. “In the end, it gives us an extra day of vacation,” she said.

Earlier, Eurostar advised passengers to postpone journeys, warning of “major disruption” caused by the power failure and a subsequent breakdown of a LeShuttle train inside the tunnel.

“Please don’t come to the station unless you already have a ticket to travel,” Eurostar said, adding that services that could operate were subject to severe delays and last-minute cancellations.

High demand, mounting scrutiny

The disruption comes amid record demand for Eurostar services. The operator carried 19.5 million passengers last year—up nearly five per cent from 2023—boosted by travel linked to the Paris Olympics and Paralympics.

Eurostar has held a monopoly on passenger services through the Channel Tunnel since it opened in 1994, though competition is on the horizon. British entrepreneur Richard Branson has pledged to launch a rival service, and Italy’s Trenitalia has said it plans to compete on the Paris–London route by 2029.

Tuesday’s shutdown is the latest in a series of disruptions for Eurostar. An electrical fault caused cancellations and delays in August, while cable thefts on northern French rail lines disrupted services for two days in June. The company has also faced criticism over high fares, particularly on the Paris–London route.

Related Post